Add This

Bookmark and Share

Lisa Tomey

Lisa Tomey

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Medicare, Medicaid, Assisted Living

I woke up too early this morning. It was about 4 a.m. I had stayed up late watching an old movie. I think I went to sleep about 12. This means that I will likely have a nap when the fog sets in my brain. Early morning hours are great for going to favorite sites. There is low traffic and less computer hang ups. One day soon I am getting more memory in this pc. Wonder if they can insert more in my brain too. :) 


I have been reading quite a bit about Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare lately. It partly has to do with paper research and partly to stay informed about the latest. In the process I learned about assisted living facilities. Did you know that they are not federally regulated? There are certifications which they can apply for and many of the certifying companies are nationwide. The reason they are not regulated by the feds is because of the fear of becoming like an institution. This was interesting for me to find out. When you compare assisted living with nursing home care it kinda makes sense. Nursing homes require structure and medical supervision. Assisted living is supposed to be more home like but medications are dispensed and there is a nurse to supervise med techs. 

Did you know that Medicare is not really designed to pay for assisted living? It does pay for certain skilled nursing care in a facility. It also pays for authorized home health care. The line seems to be drawn at what a person can do for one self. Medicaid may pickup Medicare premiums if a person is eligible for Supplemental Security Income or SSI.  Medicaid is usually used for medications and medical care not authorized by Medicare. This may be certain dental and vision care. Medicare usually becomes primary and Medicaid secondary.


Social Security is a while new volume of information. Another day... Cheers for hump day!



2 comments:

Paula Tomey-Allen said...

I wonder if Hospices are regulated?

LisasOwnBlog said...

Good question! Seems like they would be.