Add This

Bookmark and Share

Lisa Tomey

Lisa Tomey

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Small Stones - BlogTalkRadio

Today's Small Stones is BlogTalkRadio show preparations and presentations.

Every week I co-host a BlogTalkRadio show on Thursday nights at 5:30 p.m. CST. It it for the Alzheimer's Hope radio show. Allen Golden and I are partners in the health interest of Alzheimer's Disease and other health issues. My Dad had Alzheimer's but actually died from cancer. Allen had gained a lot of knowledge about Alzheimer's Disease and decided to write a book. He has a degree as an educator. I helped him complete this project. So now we do this BlogTalkRadio show about Alzheimer's Disease. We are trying to reach others who are dealing with this disease.

This weeks show was about People Who We Have Known, focusing on famous people who have had Alzheimer's. Some are still with us and most have gone before. We don't hear that much about people who are with us having this disease. I think there are those who do but it is not easily shared. For some it is a matter of privacy and others it is a matter of them growing older and not a lot of focus placed on them. And I am sure there are other reasons, as well.

The preparation for a show is very involved. We have to read through a lot of information to cover even a small piece of time. Tonight we allowed for a 2 hour show, which ended at about 1 1/2 hours more or less. I found video clips and purchased MP3's of the performers who we recognized. The cost wasn't to bad via Amazon but it can add up if not careful. I did not use all of the recordings but may use them in the future. After tonight, I think we will cut back to shorter shows. It is tiring and when we see no listeners it is frustrating. I estimate about 20 hours of prep time for this 2 hour show. We had a caregiver's show recently which had 1 listener. It was a call-in show and nobody called in. Nobody ever has.

Maybe I am not promoting the show enough. I start early and get the information out there. I don't want to bombard people with the information. I use Twitter, Facebook, and email to subscribers. Anyway, there is a lot to be shared about Alzheimer's disease and I believe we have a lot to offer. Perhaps sometime this will take off.

No comments: