Add This

Bookmark and Share

Lisa Tomey

Lisa Tomey

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Small Stones - Portabella Mushrooms

Today's Small Stones is about Portabella mushrooms and what I did with them.

After my daughter tried and loved a portabella mushroom burger (no meat) I decided to try this at home. I was successful and it was a hit! Today I decided to make it again but to try some seasonings, since mushrooms are not all that strong in taste. I found a Mediterranean seasoning blend and used it to pan grill the mushrooms. Since I know you are dying to know how I did this I will try to explain.

I took a large, non-stick skillet and put just a little drizzle of olive oil and heated at about medium heat and added about 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic. I took 2 portabella mushroom caps and placed them in the pan. While they were getting all warmed up I cut the bottoms off about a pound of asparagus and placed them on either side of the mushrooms. I them just turned both the mushrooms and asparagus a few times until I was satisfied they would still have body (not mush) and a little crunch. I sprinkled the Mediterranean seasoning on everything about 5 minutes before I turned the heat off.

Oh, I took 2 whole grain flat breads and put them on top of everything for the last 5 minutes or so of cooking. This got this steamed and ready for the plating. I then took a handful of salad greens and lay them on the flat bread and drizzled a stream of balsamic vinaigrette over the greens. I sprinkled about a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese over this. Then I place a mushroom cap on this on each plate. The asparagus was placed on the plate as the side. One day I will actually take a picture! These were a hit! Key to buying portabella caps is to get them by the pound and take off the stems in the store, unless you really plan to use them. They are no more costly than ground beef and quite good!

No comments: